Monday, March 04, 2013

please release me.....

I heard an interesting comment yesterday morning.  Apparently someone made the observation that the 'church' is not operating with the power of Christ.  Really?  What gave it away?  While this is a general statement,  I believe it is a true statement.  But why is that?  Why isn't the 'church' tapping into the power of Christ? Why is the 'church' running on no or low power?
I'm wondering if part of the problem is that the 'church' has become an organization so wound up in bureaucracy and red tape that it can't move with the Spirit of God.  Too many committees, too many boards.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not against committees (well, maybe just a bit LOL.)  Teams play an important role in getting things done, if they do not get bogged down in red tape and if they allow for the Spirit of God to move.  And guess what?  Sometimes the Spirit works quickly and spontaniously!  And if the Spirit moves, so should we.
And I'm wondering if we, as individuals, are wound up so tightly we can't move.  I keep getting a visual in my head of stick people, with tape wrapped around and around them making it impossible to move - arms can't move, legs can't walk, movement is limited. Sadly, I think this is where most of us live our lives, and because we don't know any different we accept it.  We just think this is how we are suppose to live.
How it must grieve God to see His people all bound up, waddling around with limited mobility.
I  have another visual though.  I see God, with a large pair of scizzors, cutting the tape and setting us free! Setting not only us free but the 'church' free.   Can you imagine that with me?  Its kind of like a cotton ball wound up so tight it becomes a tiny, skinny piece of nothing but it bursts out once the tape is cut off.
Can you imagine if we were to burst out with the power of Christ?  Can you imagine if the 'church' were to burst out in the power of Christ?  Can you imagine how God could use us?
I want the tape cut off me. I want to be released from everything that is keeping me bound up.  I want to live in the power of Christ. I want to follow the Spirit's leading.

1 comment:

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.