Tuesday, March 26, 2013

You're fishing on the wrong side!

My brain is filled with jumbled up thoughts this week.  I don't do well with jumbled!  I'm an organizer by nature LOL
One of my devotions this week was on the passage where Simon and his fishermen friends go out to fish. Now, these are professional fishermen so one would assume they knew how and where to fish. They had done this countless times, this is how they made their living.  But this time, this time there was no fish and they had been at it all night.  Then along comes Jesus, who says to them "throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."  Now I can just imagine the conversation in the boat - who does that guy think he is?  isn't he a carpenter? what does he know about fishing? this how we always fish, its worked before.  why should we listen to him?  And, maybe Jesus repeated the same thing over and over till they finally said - fine, we'll do it your way.  Surprize surprize - FISH and lots of them!
So what does this have to do with us?  Well, quite simply, maybe we need to change how we are doing things, or change the direction we are going. Just because we have always done things a certain way (with some success) does not mean it will work forever.  Sometimes its time to stop - Hey, this doesn't work anymore.  And while we are wrestling with frustration, Jesus is repeating over and over - throw your nets on the other side of the boat!! trust me, it will work.
For me personally, God has challenged me to 'fish the other side' - which is taking me into an area I never expected to find myself.  Challenging, exciting, fear and trepidation - all good things.
How is your fishing today?  Need to maybe fish the other side?

No comments: